I was able to make a start today on the shave horse that I have recently been commissioned to make. I cleaved out three billets from the best looking Ash log I had to reveal a lovely section of olive ash in one of the cleft sections. Draw knifing these billets to 2’’ ish squares, then octagons, and finally into round poles was about an hours work. Although that might seem like a long time, that’s still half the time it took me to shape up just one leg from the first greenwood chair I made!
The trio of legs are now ‘seasoning’ next to the Ray Burn at my parents place. I want then to ovalise before I cut the tenons at the top of the legs. This will mean that I will not have to worry about the legs becoming loose in the bed of the shave horse at a later date.
Depending on at happens with my other day job, I’m hoping to start on the turned sections of the shave horse tomorrow.